Setting up your own Magento 1.x webshop the fast way and start selling your products.
- Go to Magento commerce and download the latest open source (full release) Community Edition of Magento.
- On the same page, download the latest Sample Data.
- Replace the Magento media directory with the media directory from the Sample Data:
- Create a database and call it, for example, 'magento' and import de sample_data.sql from the Sample Data.
- Go to the index file of your local or remote installation and walk through the setup for Localization and Configuration:
- Want to check your submitted database config values? See app/etc/local.xml
- During setup dont't forget to create an admin account:
- After the set up has finished you've got a default Magento webshop with some sample products. Now, let's put our own products in the store.
- Make a new store catalog (or category as Magento would call it) with Catalog > Manage Categories > button 'Add root category' and call it, for example, New Root Catalog.
Subsequently push the button 'Add Subcategory' to add your own categories like 'Computers' or 'Books and Education'. After doing this go to System > Manage Stores > Main Store and select under Root Category your freshly made New Root Catalog.
Now it's time to add a new Attribute Set, like the earlier mentioned 'Books and Education' (base it on the Default attribute set, which contains attributes - like price and description - that will do for this example):
- Now, go to Catalog > Manage Products ad push the button 'Add product'. Choose the appropriate freshly made Attribute Set
and choose (to keep it to the basics of a physical product with a single SKU) Simple Product (in this example the product, a book called 'Shopaholic' is filed under
Books and Education).
Under Inventory of Product Information make sure that Qty is bigger than 0 and that
Stock Availiblity is set to In Stock:
- Under Categories of Product Information make sure to check the right checkbox under your New Root Catalog (where Root Catalog
contains the Sample Data):
- Upload some image files under Images and submit other product details and the product is added to your store. If you need additional help in
setting up and running your own Magento Webshop please contact Blue Cliff Concepts.